In addition to selecting individual articles from the Library Databases spread throughout your course, you may want to use a Reading List. The Reading List Builder allows you to add multiple resources into one compact link for your students. You can organize them within your modules and topics in your course. The Reading List Builder pulls research articles, newspaper articles, videos, ebooks, and more directly from SmartSearch, and you can also add your own web links into the list. You can use this to supplement a textbook, or to replace it. See below for how to get started with Reading List Builder.
CCBC Library offers a variety of online licensed content that may be linked to Brightspace including articles, E-books, streaming videos, research guides and LibraryLearn. This is an easy way to provide copyrighted materials with students in compliance with copyright laws. You also need to worry about authentication issues.
Click an option below to find instructions on how to add links for:
After deciding that creating a Reading List is what you want to do, select the area within Brightspace that you wish to add the link.
1. Click Existing Activities in the module menu.
2. Select External Learning Tools
3. Select Reading List Builder from the list of Tools
4. Reading List Builder will now appear in your module. Click on it to start adding your readings.
5. Before adding your readings, you can edit the name of your Reading List by clicking on the drop-down arrow. You can name it the same title as your module or topic.
6. Select Click for Readings.
7. In the next window you will be able to start your Reading List. *This may take a few moments to load.* Click on Start - Continue WITHOUT Copying. (Once you create a Reading List you can make it public and then copy it into other courses you may be teaching and your colleagues can also reuse your Reading Lists.)
8. On the next screen, you can begin searching for resources from SmartSearch. You can search by Keyword, Title, or Author.
9. Once your results appear you can use the Add to Reading List button to start collecting articles, videos, and ebook chapters. This will automatically add your selected resources to the list.
9. Once you have selected all the resources you would like from SmartSearch, scroll back to the top and click on See Current Reading List.
10. Now you can see all the resources you have selected from SmartSearch. You can also add individual web links from sites you may frequently use in your course and you can add specific instructions to the Reading List. For instance, if you are using an ebook you may write "only read chapter 5 of the ebook below". You can also delete any resources by clicking the small delete button next to each one.
11. Next close the window. Your Reading List has been saved. When you return to Brightspace you can select your Reading List from your list of module topics. Then select Click for Readings to bring you back to your Reading List. As the instructor, this will bring you back to the search box, but you can click on See Current Reading List to you take you to your resources.
*As of right now there is a glitch that also takes students to the search box. Please make sure you advise students to click on the See Current Reading List button to ensure they can access the resources*