4 Proactive Study Skills
A Study Guide for Interactive Studying for Science Subjects
From Myla Barker:
The First Phase of Understanding!
- Write Out Class Notes
- Your Notes should be titled by chapter and subject and dated!
- You are not supposed to understand everything!
- This is just the introduction
- Go Over Your PowerPoint Notes!
- Copy Everything Down! ( READ EVERYTHING)
- This is another introduction phase!
The 2nd Phase of Understanding Your Material!
- Go Through PowerPoint Notes First, Then Professors Notes From Class!
- Draw Connection, Fill in the Holes!
- Underline the things you do not understand!
- Mark things with a (?) for things you would like to research later
- Take notes for the things you do understand!
- Research diagrams, illustrations, and examples to draw connections after you have taken concise, organized notes!
- Take time to focus on the things you do not understand
- These are the things you ask questions about to your professor!
- If your professor can not help, then come to the Student Success Center
- Repetition, Repetition, Repetition!
- Interactive studying
- Underline things
- Additional research
- Learn to guide yourself to the right information!